I’m a big fan of setting intentions. And I say intentions instead of resolutions because saying you “resolve” to do something sounds like it’s a hard and fast rule that you have to stick to, and that there’s no room to stretch out and explore and change your mind. Intentions imply there is room to grow, and there is indeed always room to grow. No one is perfect, I’m not perfect, and I know some of these will slip; but I think it’s important (and fun!) to reflect on how we can create lives we love and are passionate about.
When I write down my intentions for the year, I split them into categories. We’re so multi-dimensional, so a simple list just doesn’t do it for me! A friend told me she loves seeing these posts because she likes to see what people are working on, so I decided to share a few sections + intentions I’ve set for the new year.
intentions for coffee on sunday
- create an online space that is positive, fun, and cozy
- post two blogs per month
- stay true to myself and what I love creating! create and speak my joy.
intentions for general creativity
- keep trying new things (like hand-lettering!) and stretch new creative muscles
- create for the sake of creating
- share the new things I create, even if they’re not good
intentions for living life
- host friends and family more frequently – celebrate the little things!
- travel to three new places this year (either near or far, via plane or road trip)
- take snowboard lessons and practice, practice, practice!
- find a place to volunteer long term
- stretch after working out (I always say I’m going to do this and then don’t – so bad!)
- less phone time! enjoy life without a screen in hand!
Do you set goals/intentions/resolutions for the start of a new year? If so, what do you want to work on in 2020?